2. Clean out your pantry. Purge expired, stale and unhealthy. Then make it pretty and organized—no more mystery shelves.
3. Clean out one closet. I’m tackling the hardest first, the clothes closet, Marie Kwando style, taking everything out first, eliminating anything that I don’t like or haven’t worn in the last 2 years. Then a thorough vacuum, cleaning and reorganizing. For me, this will be a 2-day chore.
4. Empty the junk drawer. We all have one. What’s in there that you really need? Eliminate everything else or put in its rightful spot.
5. Go through your movie collection. If you’re feeling ambitious, go through music CDs also. You still have cassette tapes? Be honest: when is the last time you listened to one? Take those fossils to Goodwill or your favorite donation site. Hey, don’t feel bad. My husband still has a reel-to-reel player and music. I’m working on him.
6. Organize your Tupperware. Match lids. Eliminate anything without a lid, scratched, scorched or otherwise marred. They’re not healthy.
8. Clean out your purse and your wallet.
9. Clean out your makeup drawer. I date my stuff with permanent marker when I buy it, and throw out expired stuff. One year for lipsticks, eyeshadow and pencil liners, six months for powder, makeup and mascara.
10. Purge your bathroom cabinets. If you’re like me, you try a lot of stuff and only like a few things enough to re-use. Throw that shit away! Also dispose of all expired medicine and other items.
11. Go through your inbox and unsubscribe to 5 email blasts.
12. Organize your linen closet.
14. Clean/organize 2 kitchen cabinets.
15. You’re on a roll! Clean and organize 2 more.
16. Donate unused accessories – jewelry, hats, scarves etc.
17. Clean out and donate kid’s unused toys.
19. Likewise, do you have boxes of items to be put up on an auction site (probably because they’re too expensive/nice to donate)? Set up that auction site (eBay, Poshmark, Etsy, Offer Up, Amazon, Facebook Marketplace, Craig’s List etc.). Take pictures of your inventory to sell, and load up that site! Think about all the money you will make from it.
20. Clean your computer desktop and change the background for the New Year. Organize items into folders, and back them up.
21. Organize photos and memorabilia. Discard what now doesn’t seem as important or special.
22. Clean all blinds
23. Clean those neglected baseboards
24. Organize and donate unused board games and electronics
25. Clean ceiling fan blades
26. Clean out kids’ closets and dressers. Give to friends, donate or sell what no longer fits.
27. Replace air vents/filters.
28. Clean light fixtures and replace burned out bulbs.
29. Clean and organize garage.
30. Clean any remaining parts of the house (vacuum and dust)
A cluttered house can feel like a burden, not a joy.
My New Year resolution for 2020 is to the left. Here's to having a home that feels beautiful!