Here’s an annual mapping exercise I do every January. If you haven’t thrown away your 2017 calendar or diaries, they will come in helpful, although neither is absolutely necessary.
Then, I go back through the last year and pencil in events of the year, good and bad, that were significant. Deaths, births, new jobs, pets, large purchases, finished projects, goals met. Even direction or philosophical changes.
Next, add in important world events—global and pagan.
Finally, I consider my emotional health and well-being.
I have enjoyed keeping track of life this way as my son has grown up.
Wheel of the Year Tarot spread
I mentioned here earlier that I’m working on my annual Wheel of the Year tarot spread. It’s a BIG project--this year I used the full deck, rather than only one card per month. It’s more work, but it gives a more comprehensive view of what’s coming in the New Year.
Here’s how to do yours:
- Go around until you finish the deck. If you are using a standard 78-card deck, you can complete 6 cycles.
This spread can also be used to represent the 12 houses of life in Astrology. If you decide to use the reading for astrology only, the 12 houses are as follows:
- Personality, environment, how others see you (Aries)
- Money, possessions, earning power and financial values (Taurus)
- Travel and Communications, day to day activities (Gemini)
- Home life, siblings, family, parents (Cancer)
- Pleasure, romance, love affairs, holidays, self-expression, creativity (Leo)
- Work and Health (emotional and physical) (Virgo)
- Partnerships (professional/personal) and Marriage, legal issues (Libra)
- Inheritance, death, other people’s money, endings/beginnings (Scorpio)
- Philosophy, education, dreams, travel/long distance journeys (Sagittarius)
- Career, profession, fame, reputation (Capricorn)
- Friends, organizations, hope and wishes (Aquarius)
- Burdens, restrictions, secret fears, enemies, dangers, subconscious (Pisces)
If, as you are going around, you get Major Arcana or Court cards of the Minor Arcana, they may pertain to certain personalities or types of people who are having a significant impact on your life, either in that month (if you are doing a 12-month spread), or in that area of your life (if doing the Astrology Houses).
If the personalities of the people don’t mean anything to you, or you can’t relate to those type of people, the court cards can also represent aspects of your own personality that may be useful to you (if the cards are upright) and you need to develop more of and strengthen, or that may be hindering you (if the cards are reversed) and you need to be careful that those aspects don’t get in your way.
Version 3 (I used this version)
You can also combine the Monthly and Astrology spreads above.
- Lay the first round as an overall 12-month spread.
- On the 2nd and all subsequent times, use the houses.
NOTE: However you decide to use this spread, it’s important to decide in advance what the positions are going to mean for you. When you have decided, make your intention clear to your cards and they will fall correctly for you.
Also, once you decide what the positions are going to mean for you, there’s no going back! Don’t change your mind part way through the reading.
Until next Friday, Blessed Be. And don't forget to rub the bellies of my new gnome buddies for luck before you leave!